As many of you know professionalism is a really important part of modelling, be it the model, the photographer or any of the other creatives involved in the project. There can be confusion about some roles and what the boundaries and lines are.
Lets cover some of the basics of professionalism. Here we go!
On Location: No one really cares what you think about the hair or makeup, they've already told you the concept and given you a rough idea of what's going on so you shouldn't have anything to say to any of the creatives, at least nothing to negatively criticize them. If you're a bunch of girlfriends getting together and you want to talk smack about others? Not a good idea. Best to keep it to an informal setting, this will ensure that you keep that line very clear. This is what being a professional means.
Be on time: This applies to everyone, really. Being late is fine, if it's a rare occurrence. If it happens every time... well, it gets annoying. This also means: SHOW UP TO THE SHOOT. If you can't make it, let people know. Nothing is more annoying than someone who just doesn't show up.
Respect: When I say this I mean that sure, you may be comfortable running around the set/location stark naked but most of the other people involved won't really be okay with that. It's a good way to blur the lines between being professional and being attention-seeking. So keep minimum safe distance, act respectfully towards others. You wouldn't like it if some creepy old guy was running around naked and hugging you, would you? (Don't answer that, I'm afraid of the responses...And yes, I do mean you Brent...) This also applies to how to behave in a public forum. Think about what you say BEFORE you say it. It is critically important that you keep a professional image and that you are respectful to others in the community. Do you have to like everyone? No, but they're people too and do no deserve to be treated like dirt.
Ix-nay on the ama-dre. AKA: Drama: I'm sure we're all familiar with the drama that happens with models. Everyone has seen at least part of an episode of Canada's Next Top Model (or America's). No one wants to work with the dramatic, bitchy, annoying model who wines about how her boyfriend left her for some other skank. Do they care? Probably not. Is it appropriate to discuss during a project? Absolutely not. Doesn't matter if it's just you and your friends on set. Not KOSHER. (Not OK).
Preparation: If a photographer asks you to bring things to a location/set: BRING THEM. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you can't, for whatever reason, tell those involved. Problem solve. Maybe someone can pick you up or can pay for your cab or something. THERE IS A SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING PEOPLE. Everything.
Food: We all like to snack at a shoot but lets be real: unless you're guaranteed to be there for more than 12 hours (and in this case you should probably request a lunch break to go get something) you shouldn't be bringing a 5+ course meal with you. Snacks are cool, a bag of almonds, some cheese, crackers, maybe even chips. Try to avoid bringing things that could spill on or otherwise soil a garment. No tomato sauce, salsa, oily-greasy foods. No pizza ladies! NO GUM EITHER LOVELIES. No. Gum. You can ask if you can chew it but avoid chewing it while you are on set. (It's rude and can potentially damage garments). Chewing while shooting: NOT ATTRACTIVE.
I hope this has clarified a few things for some of you. Bad behaviour, as in Kindergarden, WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
Video tiiiiime! I feel like I should break my pattern a bit and post a music video that I love. I won't deny that it's a touch raunchy but I kind of like the message. And the ending is really funny. So, Enjoy!
Be safe, be smart, be awesome!
-Nicola Sasky
Specifically on food: I often supply food on my shoots, I feel like the models work really hard, and I try to do something like a fruit or veggie tray, not every time (sometimes I am shooting on a super tight budget, and after I pay the model, the studio, the MUA, there isn't even 8 bucks left over...) but I do try. I also often go out for supper with the people on the shoot after (usually an MUA, an assistant or two, often a second shooter, the models). After a lot of work, food is a good thing.
ReplyDelete