I'm a HUGE advocate for model safety. I have very strict rules when it comes to my own personal safety and since my first... let's call it "Eye Opening" experience (nothing too terrible, just horribly uncomfortable!) experience as a young model, I did some research to find out the best ways to stay safe when it comes to shoots/shows/etc. This is my basic list of things that help me feel safe during a shoot.
Do Your Research: I almost always research a photographer/creative before I work with them. I check out their work, see if I'm interested in working with them, and establish whether or not they're already known for being creepy. This is very smart and helpful and can include asking models that the photographer has worked with for their opinions. Most models will take the two minutes to convey if they photographer is awesome or creepy.
Meet First: I like to invite the photographer or creative to meet with me first. This way I can immediately suss out any sketchiness and that way you know what the photographer looks like! (This is oddly important) If you're underage, bring a guardian to this meeting. They will need to meet the photographer, sign any documents (modelling release) and it's good to have someone you know with you. I personally like to meet in crowded places where I feel safe, like Starbucks or Second Cup. Anywhere you can sit down and talk but there's enough foot traffic that if something happened you could get away!
Tell Your Parents: Or rather tell someone where you're going, who you're going with, how long you'll be there and such. That way, if for some reason you don't come home they'll have somewhere to look. Sorry, I know that sounds creepy but it's better to be overly cautious. I also like to give someone the photographer/someone on set's contact information, including a phone number that I will call beforehand to make sure it works. If you can: check in when you are with the photographer, give regular updates, let someone know when you're leaving and then when you get home. Facebook is great for that, so is Twitter! It's a good way to track where you are and now that cellphones are taking over it should be relatively easy.
Chaperone: On my Model Mayhem profile it says that no questions asked: I will bring a chaperone. If you make it known that you will be bringing someone this will generally scare away a lot of creepers. This doesn't mean that you should "threaten" to have someone with you, you should actually bring someone if you can. Family, a girlfriend, someone. (I will write a post about chaperones, don't you worry!) Having a third person in the room can keep things from getting "dangerous", or someone acting inappropriate. This is an absolute must for me (unless I am close personal friends with a photographer). The important thing is that this extra person make you feel safe and secure at a shoot.
Assistant: Do NOT rely on the photographer to have an assistant. I was tricked into thinking there would be another woman on set and halfway to the shoot he let is slip that "he's away in Alberta with family". Two red flags: "he" and that the "he" isn't even there! Creepers will claim to have an assistant, usually female to make the model more comfortable, and often times be totally alone! If this happens: LEAVE. This is a really bad sign. REALLY BAD.
Okay so now to discuss some of the warning signs.
"No" to Chaperones: While there are a few established photographers that will ask you not to bring a chaperone, they are few and far between. If a photographer specifically asks you NOT you bring another person: run away! This is a really bad sign that they want to get you alone and take advantage of you (get your mind out of the gutter, it's not all that bad).
Won't Meet: Again, a bit of a gray area as some photographers won't meet beforehand. Sometimes they don't have time, but generally if a photographer won't meet with you beforehand it's because they don't want to set off any alarm bells in your head before they can get you alone! RUN AWAY. Or explain that you don't shoot with people you've never met before. This has served me very well.
You're Given Surprise Wardrobe: This specifically happened to me. I was told to bring wardrobe for myself, that I was responsible for that and then I was given a musty old jean shirt and told not to wear a bra. Very, very inappropriate, especially when you know the model is underage (I was 17!). Now, the photographer may happen to have some wardrobe with him/her that they think will work well with what you brought but anything that pushes your comfort levels, even a little, should be an easy no.
Messy Studio: Creatives can be messy, but this is a big no-no for me. Studio space should be clean, tidy, kept nicely for those who are going to be in it. If you see porn, or underwear or condoms/wrappers (big alarm for that one) I suggest turning around and running as fast as you can. These are all very bad signs. Now, if you've agreed to a shoot with a fetish photographer there may be underwear or porn lying around, even sex toys, but condoms (unless specifically being used as a prop or if you ARE shooting porn) should be nowhere to be found. Neither should tissues or obvious signs of intercourse (shabam my friends, shabam).
Research (It has to be said twice, really): Any warning signs, any negative reviews that turn up should sound the warning alarm in your head. Now, not everyone gets along but a professional model will not slander a photographer if he/she doesn't like them. That being said some people lack the maturity associated with a professional so one bad review in a sea of positive/glowing reviews shouldn't be too bad but more than one? I'd reconsider shooting with the photographer. I also suggest asking the model what the exact situation was and then I will make my decision. Inappropriate touching is an immediate no. Which brings me to:
Touching: A photographer should not touch a model, as it states in the Professionalism guide. There should be no reason as there should always be a third person that the model is comfortable being touched by. If a photographer touches you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable you can either say something or excuse yourself and leave. If it's a hug well, there are worse things, some people are huggers and it's easy to back away from a hug (I do it all the time). No ass grabbing/touching, no breasticle fondling, no grabbing of bits. Run away if any of this happens! RUN AWAY.
Language: A photographer should only be speaking to direct you or make polite conversation. Lewd comments about "dat ass" are totally inappropriate and are cause for leaving. No matter how small the remark, if you're uncomfortable you may leave. This also applies to insults.
If you're uncomfortable: have an escape plan. I've only had to use mine once in six years. It goes something like this: I ask my mother to call me. She does so and tells me that my dad is sick and she needs me to come home immediately. It's a safe excuse that no one will argue with. Family is family!
Now, creepers are USUALLY men but this doesn't exclude women entirely. They are rare but they do exist so always be on the lookout.
And lastly, a note about paid versus unpaid shoots and safety. If any of the red flags pop up, regardless of whether or not you're being paid, you are absolutely allowed to leave or tell the photographer to please stop. Money doesn't mean the photographer owns you (although some seem to think that).
Now, I normally try to post tutorials but I think we need something to lighten up the mood a little so... Present! And while this isn't a tutorial it's pretty damn funny watching a guy put makeup on a girl.
BE SAFE, BE SMART and as always: be awesome!
-Nicola Sasky
No comments:
Post a Comment