Michelle Olsen is a fashion photographer, based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She's a close, personal friend and as such we've shot a few times over the course of our friendship.
So far I rather like asking photographers questions about what it is they do and the like so I shot off a couple of questions to Michelle and she sent me her replies back the next day! Yay! I was surprised at some of what she wrote, there were a lot of things that I didn't even know about her! Funny, since we're friends. Oh well, I learnt something that day for sure! So here we go, questions and answers abound!
How long have you been at this "photography" business?
I’ve been a photographer for almost 8 years, shooting mostly landscapes, pets, and miscellaneous garden plants. I started with Sony glass, and moved towards using a Nikon DSLR about a year before going to school. Upon starting my courses at the Centre for Arts and Technology (Halifax), I found that I wanted to shoot fashion mostly, secondary to portraits, and later on lifestyle. I’ve been shooting professionally for about a year and a half.
What would you consider to be your most used piece of equipment, camera excluded?
I’m going to assume that since the camera doesn’t count, lenses don’t count either. After that, it’s my Nikon SB910 equipped with a 22” Cameron beauty dish. It’s my baby, and it’s been through so much-- it even has the dent in the grid from when I banged it moving out of my parents house. It comes along to most shoots with me, and has seen me through some of my best work.
What would you do if you dropped your camera in a pool?
I’d lose it. My camera is my life, and there is no way I could replace any gear if it broke, got wet, etc.
If you could shadow any photographer in the world, who would it be and why?
Oh god I hate these questions. At the moment, I’d want to shadow Zhang Jinga (Zemotion), from New York. Her work is spectacular-- so emotional, moving, and creative. I can’t help but feel moved every time I look at it. If you haven’t had the chance to see it yet, you’d definitely better go check out the Motherland Series she’s been shooting.
Any other photographers might include; Steven Miesel, Emily Soto, as well as various photographers from Eastern Europe on deviantArt.
If you had all the money in the world, what would you shoot?
EVERYTHING. I’d travel everywhere on my to travel list and shoot at least one set in each location. I’d especially love to shoot some editorials in the abandoned theme parks in China, New Yorks Brooklyn bridge, the Santa Monica pier, The Great Wall of China, and Fushimi Inari temple in Japan.
What would you wear to a pirate's funeral?
I’d wear what I want, cuz a pirate is free. (I am a pirate!)
So there you have it, her answers to my questions! Now I'll throw up a few pictures from when we worked together. SO HERE WE GO:
This shot is from our first shoot together (I was in the middle of dyeing my hair red hence the icky color). We shot in Brian Larter's studio in downtown Halifax and yes, she threw flour at me. We then decided that the best way to get a proper cloud was to pour it on my face and have me whip my head around. All in all: pretty fun! Though I did have "bread dough" in my nose for a week after the shoot...
This is from our second shoot together, at the Center for Art and Technology. We had fun messing around, changing clothes and being somewhat ridiculous. Again: a super fun shoot!
I would highly recommend shooting with Michelle. She's fun, easy going and generally lets you do your own thing. She's also keen to work with new people and has a whole whack of crazy ideas just waiting to be shot! We are currently trying to shoot something that's been in the works for 6 months (mostly rescheduling... blegh weather)!
Michelle Olsen's Official Website!
So, lovelies: be safe, be smart, be awesome!
- Nicola Sasky


No comments:
Post a Comment