I'm hoping the name of this post translates to something like Oz: The Great and Powerful but who knows with these things.
Anywho... I decided that Fridays should be dedicated to my portfolio and the photographers I've worked with (maybe even a few I want to work with!). To start us off I sent Tim Lingley a couple of questions, spur of the moment. We've worked together on a few projects, mostly with me doing makeup and helping give direction to new models, but we finally put together a shoot. We both wanted to do something "Little Red Riding Hood", especially since I had to perfect cape. So, we set a date!
I decided last night at about 10 that I would feature Tim as my first Friday post and so I asked him if he wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions for me. I was pretty amazed at how quickly he sent back the responses!
When did you start pursuing photography?
I bought my first DSLR in 2006, but it was mostly for snapshots, vacation photos, etc. I really started to develop a passion for photography in late 2011, and began a 365 photo (one per day) project to keep myself moving. I wound up volunteering for the University’s paper, shooting sports, portraits and other newspaper-y stuff. After moving to Halifax about a year ago, I started working with models, and found that I really want to pursue fashion and portraiture work.
What do you love most about it?
I think for me it’s the challenge. I’ve always been an introvert, so the very act of introducing myself to other people pushes me out of my comfort zone. But that’s such a good thing for me because each time I do, I get more comfortable with it. I want to hear people’s stories and take their picture.
What was your craziest shoot?
I think my craziest shoot was a recent set of photos I did with NSCAD Fashion Design student Janelle Brown. Our model, Ellen, was wrapped up in an emergency blanket and saran wrap, while the seamless white backdrop had bits of cotton fluff and clear balloons spread all over the place. The really crazy part was that the studio we were working in had no AC, which was a big deal, since it was 35 degrees outside and incredibly humid. Needless to say we kept well hydrated throughout the shoot.
What was your biggest challenge with regards to photography?
Aside from dealing with people, it’s always been a big challenge to find really interesting locations and set them up for a shoot. Outdoor shoots depend very heavily on the weather, and ensuring that everyone has access to the basics, like washrooms and water. This has been especially challenging for me, having only lived in Halifax for a year, and being the photographer, I’m supposed to know all this stuff, right?
Is there something you haven't done but would like to try?
I would love to be able to coordinate with a designer to do a full editorial shoot, a complete fashion line with several complete outfits. I’m working toward it, step by step.
If you were stranded on a desert island what would be the one thing from civilization that you would wish you had?
All that I have coming to mind is practical stuff, like a good knife, or a radio, or food. I guess I’d go with the knife, since I can use it to get food and fashion a radio out of…uh…coconuts or something.
Our Shoot:
Okay so those are the couple of questions that I sent him and his answers! Now a quick note from me before I show you what we created together. Tim was amazingly fun to work with. We goofed around the whole time which was pretty damn important because it was the middle of winter and my bare ass was sitting on some COLD snow (I lost feeling by the time the shoot was over!).
He sent me the shots almost immediately and man, was I pleased. I had done my hair and makeup myself and was anxious to see how well things would turn out, considering we had never worked together. So, PICTURE TIME!
Both of these were shot and edited by Tim. We shot behind his apartment building in the trees (duh). It was sort of bright, sort of overcast. I would most definitely shoot with him again!
In case you're wondering, that red eyeshadow is Love+ by Sugarpill!
Tim Lingley's Official Portfolio
Tim Lingley's Blog
Be safe, be smart, BE AWESOMESAUCE.
- Nicola Sasky
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment